Dubai is known for its vibrant and bustling events industry. Throughout the year it hosts a wide range of events, catering to a diverse range of interests and audiences. From sporting events such as the Dubai Rugby Sevens and Golf’s Race to Dubai, to trade shows and exhibitions such as GITEX Technology Week and Dubai International Boat Show.
The Covid-19 pandemic had a significant effect on the industry, as safety measures forced many events organisers to cancel or postpone events or transition to virtual events. However, thanks to the rollout of Dubai’s Covid vaccination programme and the success of Expo 2020, which attracted 22 million visitors in six months, the industry has bounced back strongly and there is renewed investment interest in events inDubai with the emirate set to host 400 global events per year by 2025.
Where can I host an event in Dubai?
Dubai is home to several world-class event venues that cater to a diverse range of events, from conferences and exhibitions to concerts and cultural festivals. Some of the best events locations in Dubai are:
- Dubai World Trade Centre ( DWTC) : This is the largest purpose-built complex for events in the Middle East region. The venue hosts some of the biggest trade shows, exhibitions, and conferences in the world, including the annual GITEX Technology Week and the Arabian Travel Market.
- Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre (DICEC) : DICEC is another major event venue in Dubai, boasting over 120,000 square metres of exhibition space, making it an ideal location for large-scale events.
- Dubai Opera : This stunning venue hosts a variety of events, including opera performances, ballets, concerts, and theatre productions. The venue features state-of-the-art audio and lighting systems and can accommodate up to 2,000 people.
- Madinat Jumeirah : This luxury resort encompasses several event venues, including the Madinat Arena, an indoor arena that can accommodate up to 4,500 people, and the Madinat Theatre, a 442-seat auditorium that hosts a variety of cultural performances.
- Dubai Festival City : This popular entertainment and shopping destination features several event venues, including the Dubai Festival City Arena, a multi-purpose venue that can accommodate up to 20,000 people.
- Dubai Parks and Resorts : Dubai Parks and Resorts is a theme park that features several event venues, including the Rajmahal Theatre, a state-of-the-art theatre that hosts Bollywood-style productions, and the Dubai Arena, a multi-purpose venue that can accommodate up to 17,000 people.
How do I register an event in Dubai?
If you are looking to register an event in Dubai, you will need to follow the procedures set by the Dubai Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM), which is the official government body responsible for regulating events in Dubai.
The following are the steps you will need to take:
- Determine the type of event : Before you begin the registration process, you will need to determine the type of event you want to host, whether it’s a concert, conference, trade show, or other type of event.
- Obtain the necessary permits : Depending on the type of event, you may need to obtain permits from various government authorities, such as the Dubai Municipality, Dubai Police, and the Department of Economic Development. You can obtain a list of required permits from the DTCM.
- Submit an event application ; Once you have obtained the necessary permits, you will need to submit an event application to the DTCM. This can be done online through the DTCM’s e-Permit system.
- Provide event details :As part of the application process, you will need to provide detailed information about the event, including the date, time, location, expected number of attendees, and event program.
- Pay the event fees :There are various fees associated with hosting an event in Dubai, including application fees, security deposits, and other fees. You will need to pay these fees as part of the application process.
- Obtain event approvals : Once your application has been submitted and fees have been paid, the DTCM will review your application and issue approvals for your event. You will need to obtain all necessary approvals before your event can proceed.
What permits do I need for an event in Dubai?
The permits required may vary depending on the type and scale of the event. Here is a general list of permits that you may need to obtain:
- Event permit :This is a permit from the Dubai Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM) that is required for all events held in Dubai. The application for the event permit must be submitted online through the DTCM’s e-Permit system.
- Municipality permit : Depending on the size and nature of your event, you may need to obtain permits from the Dubai Municipality. This may include permits for food and beverage sales, tents and temporary structures, or fireworks and pyrotechnics.
- Dubai Police permit : If your event requires the closure of roads or streets in Dubai or the diversion of any traffic, you will need a road closure permit. This permit is issued by the Dubai Police and ensures that the closure does not cause any inconvenience or safety issues for the public.
- Dubai Civil Defence permit :If your event involves the use of fire or flammable materials or includes pyrotechnics, you may need to obtain a permit from the Dubai Civil Defence to ensure that the event complies with fire safety regulations.
- Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) permit : If your event requires temporary electricity or water supply, you may need to obtain a permit from DEWA.
- Department of Economic Development permit : The DED permit is required to ensure that the event complies with local laws and regulations and protects the interests of consumers, businesses and the general public. It’s particularly important for events that involve commercial activities such as exhibitions, trade shows and product launches.
- Dubai Health Authority permit : If your event involves large crowds and the handling or serving of food and beverages, you may need to obtain a permit from the Dubai Health Authority. This ensures that the event organizers have taken the appropriate measures to mitigate any risks and comply with government health and safety standards.
How can Global link Help?
It’s important to note that the process of setting up an events company and registering an event in Dubai can be complex and the specific permits required for your event will depend on various factors, such as the location, size, and nature of the event. It’s recommended that you consult with a professional corporate services provider who can assist you with registering your company, obtaining a trade license, visas and all other required permits and approvals.
Global Link has over 16 years’ experience working with local and global businesses, providing bespoke consultancy services for company incorporation in Dubai and the wider UAE.
We can assist you with setting up an events company and registering your event, providing support throughout the whole process and liaising with all relevant parties on your behalf.
If you need advice on this or any other aspect of company incorporation, PRO services or visa acquisition, please get in touch with us on +971 4 553 9901 or email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to assist you.